A Starbucks drive-through sign in Wheeling, Illinois. December 28, 2005

Picture copyright
Getty Photos

A US girl has been awarded greater than $100,000 (£77,000) after being severely scalded by a cup of Starbucks espresso.

Joanne Mogavero, from Florida, suffered first and second diploma burns when the lid popped off a cup of espresso at a Starbucks in 2014, a jury was informed.

Her legal professionals had argued that Starbucks ought to warn its prospects that lids may pop off.

The jury awarded Ms Mogavero $85,000 for ache and struggling and greater than $15,000 to cowl medical payments.

The incident occurred at a drive-through outlet in Jacksonville as she took the recent drink from an worker and ready to move it to her passenger.

Her lawyer, ​Steve Earle,​ stated: “My consumer did not need sympathy from the jury – she needed justice – and the jury gave it to her with its verdict.”

In a statement, Ms Mogavero’s authorized group stated a Starbucks consultant had testified through the courtroom listening to in Duval County, Florida, that the corporate will get 80 complaints a month about issues with lids popping off or leaking.