A lodge visitor has died after contracting Legionnaires’ illness and one other fell in poor health following a keep on the similar place, it has been revealed.
The Feathers Lodge, in Ludlow, Shropshire, has voluntarily closed to the general public on recommendation of well being bosses.
Exams confirmed hyperlinks between legionella micro organism present in water samples from the lodge and the 2 friends, Public Well being England stated.
Each friends had been from Merseyside, the primary of whom has since recovered.
The primary case was recognized in April this 12 months.
“Sadly, essentially the most lately recognized particular person, who stayed on the lodge in July, has died,” an announcement stated.
The deceased is considered a girl in her 60s.
The lodge can be writing to friends who stayed on the lodge prior to now two weeks to advise them to make contact if they’ve skilled any signs of the illness.
Dr David Kirrage, marketing consultant with PHE West Midlands Well being Safety Crew, stated as quickly as quickly because the legionella micro organism was recognized, the lodge’s affected rooms had been closed, the water system disinfected and heating contractors employed to have a look at the boilers and pipework
“Remoted instances of legionella an infection are reported to us regularly and investigated as a matter of routine,” he stated.
“Nevertheless, outcomes from PHE laboratories on Monday 11 September 2017 confirmed that the pressure of legionella situated within the lodge is indistinguishable from the samples taken from the 2 instances.
“Intensive work is now wanted to overtake and deal with the plumbing in such an previous constructing, in order that friends can totally benefit from the amenities.”
The lodge will stay closed whereas the work is carried out.
- A potentially fatal lung infection attributable to legionella micro organism
- It isn’t contagious and can’t be unfold immediately from person-to-person
- It’s caught by inhaling small droplets of contaminated water
- Preliminary signs embody a excessive fever and muscle ache
- It’s handled by intravenous antibiotics
- Legionella micro organism are generally present in sources of water, resembling rivers and lakes, which typically discover their approach into synthetic water provide techniques
- NHS recommendation is that enormous buildings resembling resorts, hospitals and workplace blocks are extra weak to legionella contamination as a result of they’ve bigger, extra complicated water provide techniques and the micro organism can shortly unfold
- Legionnaires’ illness is thrice extra frequent in males than ladies and principally impacts individuals aged over 50
- An estimated 10% of people that contract the illness will die from issues arising from an infection